Thursday, September 13, 2007

Your time will come!!


Well, as everone knows that I simply and totally adore Kimi Raikkonen. I must admit, for the first time that I actually fell for his looks instead of his driving abilities. Kimi was the reason I developed an interest in alternate sports, apart from Tennis and Cricket. But the more I followed Formula One, the more I knew that he was much more than a pretty face. He may not be the best driver as many say, but he IS GOOD.

When I started watching Formula One in 2003, I saw Kimi as this incredibly good looking driver with an awesome smile. The interest from that shifted to watching the actual race and understanding it. I found that he was an aggressive driver who, when given competent equipment, can perform magic on the circuit. I liked the way he raced. AND then my love for Kimi and Formula One was born.

He had two near shots at the DRIVER'S CHAMPIONSHIP in 2003 and 2005 but on both these occassions, he was hampered by the reliability issues. I have seen too many of his retirements in the last four years and everytime he races, I have my fingers crossed that he at least finishes the race. Every point is valuable. He left Mclaren Mercedes last year to fill the vacuum left over by the legendary Michael Schumacher in Ferrari. The year 2007 promised to be a great season and all Kimi fans hoped that now, finally, is our beloved Kimi's time. And it began on a promising note with Kimi Winning the year's inaugural race in Australia, then Ferrari seemed to have lost their way in between.

But now, with only a few races remaining towards the end of the 2007 season, neither Kimi nor his team-mate Felipe Massa are anywhere near the championship. The reliability issues haunted Ferrari and particularly Raikkonen. Every Raikkonen fan has reasons to believe that maybe, poor Kimi is the most unlucky driver in recent times.

Ferrari may have a slight chance in the court with the Stepneygate scandal to redeem themselves if Mclaren are docked points or excluded from this year's Championship. But still, we expected a lot more from the Ferrari Camp to help Kimi win his maiden Formula One Driver's Championship. But that has gone down the drain and in all possibilities it looks like Mclaren will win both Constructor's and Driver's title. Oh how we wish Kimi was still in Mclaren, now that they have no reliability issues this year and a car with fantastic racing speed. But you never know.

I would write off 2007 a lost chance for Kimi and Ferrari. But like all Kimi Fans, I'm waiting for the time that Kimi re-discovers himself (this I'm saying cos I don't see that aggression in him anymore) and lifts that Driver's Championship. WE ARE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU KIMI. You are the BEST!!!

0 Speed traps: